Irvington Community Schools—Preparing Now for Post-Pandemic Student Success in 2021-2022
This past year has been rightfully called “unprecedented, uncertain, challenging,” and more. Now Irvington Community Schools is already turning our attention to another year like no other. But this time, we’ll be returning to a school year filled with energy, creativity, positivity, and greater possibility for all ICS students. Here are some highlights of what we’re planning for the months ahead:
- ICS will be holding summer school to help K-12 students recover from learning loss and position them for academic success next school year. Beginning Monday, June 14, by invitation, ICS K-8 students will participate in the Indy Summer Learning Labs’ four-week program; Irvington Preparatory Academy students will be in a credit recovery-focused three-week session. (Of note, ICS is also currently offering evening online tutoring in Math and English Language Arts for our K-12 students.)
- When we reconvene in late July, Irvington Community Elementary School will be opening a Pre-K class for four-year-olds, to prepare them — and save a seat — for kindergarten.
- We’ll be launching our new MakerSpace at IPA, which all ICS grades will use in support of Project-Based Learning.
- Our Advanced Placement (AP) coursework is expanding at IPA to further challenge our students in preparation for college.
- As ever, ICS faculty and support staff will continue focusing on cultivating meaningful working relationships and a greater sense of belonging with students, families, and the neighborhoods we serve.
Not only are we gearing up for a return to a rigorous, highly engaging student academic experience for the 2021-2022 school year, we’ll have extensive K-12 social and emotional learning (SEL) curriculum and supports in place, along with nursing and therapeutic services from our partners at Community Health Network. Please note: We’re planning for a full return to classrooms in all three schools on Monday, July 26.
So as you can see, ICS is already well down the pandemic recovery road – and doing it The Irvington Way. Better together.